“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop’s The Lion and the Mouse
If everyone knows that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar and that you get one chance to make a first impression, then why do we constantly feel like we’re getting second rate customer service everywhere we go?
Custom Service is so essential in all businesses, especially local governments. For any new Manager or Department Director, the simplest way to make a positive impact for the community is to provide customer-service standards and supporting training for all employees, especially those positions that interact with the public on a daily basis.
Here are five simple, yet sometimes overlooked, ways to immediately improve your customer service:
1. Smile: Start every interaction with a smile, it’ll brighten your day as well as those you share it with;
2. Say Hello: Address each customer with respect and from a position of support. Saying, “How can I help you” sets a much more positive tone than, “Next in line”;
3. Empathy: Engage each customer with compassion – it will mitigate the potential for issues to escalate;
4. Personal Attention: Never multi-task when it comes to customer service. Approach each interaction with the personal attention it deserves; and
5. Remember the Rule “Do unto others.” Think of how you would want to be treated. That is your best barometer for how to approach the public.